OPINION: Dr Ken Romeo 775-870-6942
St John’s wort supplements are being used over-the-counter to treat depression. St. John’s Wort may work for some and may have no effect on others.
Depression is known to decrease life span so it should be addressed in a professional anti
Here are the facts regarding St. John’s Wort:
- St John’s wort is a potent CYP3A4 inducer and can lead to decreased efficacy of numerous drugs (eg, antiretroviral agents for HIV, calcineurin inhibitors to prevent transplant rejection).
- St John’s wort may be effective in mild depression, but studies have shown that it is not effective in moderate or major depressive disorders.
- St. John’s wort may help some types of depression, similar to treatment with standard prescription antidepressants, but the evidence is not definitive.
- Combining St. John’s wort with certain antidepressants can lead to a potentially life-threatening increase of serotonin, a brain chemical targeted by antidepressants.St. John’s wort can also limit the effectiveness of many prescription medicines.
- Psychosis is a rare but possible side effect of taking St. John’s wort.
- St. John’s wort is not a proven therapy for depression. Do not use St. John’s wort to replace conventional care or to postpone seeing your health care provider.
- Inadequately treated depression may become severe and, in some cases, may be associated with suicide. Consult a health care provider if you or someone you know may be depressed.
Though depression shortens life and should be a consideration in an anti aging program, DEPRESSION SHOULD ONLY BE TREATED BY A QUALIFIED MEDICAL PHYSICIAN.
I DO NOT AND CAN NOT RECOMMEND ST. JOHN’S WORT AS A TREATMENT FOR DEPRESSION. PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL FOR ANY AND ALL MATTERS CONCERNING DEPRESSION.
Yours in Health!
Dr. Ken Romeo
Dr. Ken Romeo is a Principal and Chief Clinical Data Coordinator for the Healthy Aging Research Foundation (HARF) in Reno, NV.
Though each article and/or opinion contained on this Blog is derived from published Clinical and Research data contained in various national and international databases with links provided, if used,
NO ARTICLE OR CONCLUSION IS MEANT TO DIAGNOSE, TREAT, PREVENT OR CURE DISEASE.
CONSULT YOUR HEALTH PROFESSIONAL BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES TO YOUR HEALTH REGIMEN.
Contact: DrKenRomeo1@yahoo.com (Reno, NV) 775-870-6942